Monday, March 29, 2010

Collage Reflection


As I was working on my collage, I attempted to add different and creative elements inside. I felt if I could be able to arrange my pictures in a certain way, I could be able to send the audience a better message, and give them a better visual of the lives of the Lost Boys of Sudan. The organization of my pictures is mainly related and pointed towards my six word memoir; 'War Broke Out, But Hope Emerged'. With my images, I attempted to display those six words by amplifying the word "War" and yet send a small message with the word "Hope". I emphasized the word "War" by adding many different pictures of the civil war, as well as genocides and the lives that the Sudanese people struggled to live through. Along with that I sent a small message of "Hope" by pasting few pictures of the new opportunities they were given. As you see from left to right, my collage slowly transitions from war, to peace. Using this strategy, I attempt to show the reader what the lives of the Lost Boys were like, and the little hope they had through that time.

Most of my images resembled the devastation of War they faced, and the pain they had to go through and suffered. Around the word "War" there are different types of pictures which resemble the aftermath, or the civil war itself. A couple of pictures show genocides, and people suffering and struggling through their lives. But otherwise, I showed my understanding because I added in little pictures of Hope, symbolizing the "slimmer of hope" they had through their hard times. These pictures resemble the journey and the story they went through: Suffering the 21-year civil war, and given the new opportunity to live in America and restart their lives.

My pictures mainly show awareness for the Lost Boys' plight. Some of the pictures show the positives the Lost Boys have as well as the negatives they had to go through. In some pictures, it shows people having fun with their culture. After the 21 year civil war, most of the people wanted to move on with their lives, and leave the haunted memories of the war. A picture that resembles this is Peter entering High School. Peter arrived in America wanting to get an education and a job that would allow him to send money back to Sudan. As one of the Lost Boys, Peter also tried to escape his haunted past, and restart his life in America and make a living.

On the back of my collage, there are websites which enable readers to learn more about the people in Sudan, and perhaps aid them. Most of the sites are sites which hold a lot of information, which makes it easy for readers to research about them. I emphasized War with my pictures, because I also wanted the reader to realize that they've been through so much pain and destruction, and maybe that would drive them to help. My six word memoir shows the lives of the Lost Boys, and all the pain that they went through to get their slimmer of hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment